Total Pageviews

Saturday 6 July 2013

Guest: Iyana Jenna

I chatted with the lovely Iyana Jenna to learn more about her new book Release Me.


Taking a break from dealing with his father’s clients on legal matters, Nicholas Haynes went out to the sea on his yacht—only to find a man floating in the water. The man was still alive, much to Nicholas’s relief.

Gregory Phillips was a private investigator and his last job almost turned him into fish food if not for Nicholas. Little did he know that the main suspect in his case was one of Nicholas’ father’s clients. When Nicholas insisted on taking care of Gregory after the incident that almost killed him, can he trust Nicholas enough with his life?
 

You can get the book at Evernight Publishing or at Amazon
  

Interview with Iyana Jenna

Q: What is the thing you most love about being a writer?
A: I think it's the moment when you can't stop thinking about your characters and what happens with them. What they do, what they say. Anywhere you go, anything you do, you keep thinking about them, plotting in your mind.
 
Q: You write quite a diverse range of books, is there a particular genre you prefer to write?
A: Actually there is one main genre I write, which is M/M. My stories that have been published so far are all M/M whether it's for adult or young adult. And they are contemporary stories.
 
Q: Out of all the stories you have written, which is the one that means the most to you?
A: For stories that have been published, it has to be my first one, Just a Little Unwell. I'm so glad and relieved readers and reviewers thought it was quite good and had a great twist. For the ones that haven't been published, I have to say it's one very short story that will be released through Leap of Faith Publishing in October. It's a Christmas story about a man who gets sent a boyfriend through his chimney. :)
 
Q: How did you get into writing in the first place?
A: It's the classic case of 'I want to read something but no one writes it yet.' :) That was about ten years ago. I've never stopped writing ever since.
 
Q: How do you get yourself into the writing mood? Is there something you need to do or have before you can settle down to write?
A: You might find me weird but my writing method lately is to write on my way to and from work. I would write in my cell phone during my journey that's usually quite long because of the bad traffic. I keep changing my writing methods. One time I would write on my paper notebook and another time I would do it directly to my computer. But when I'm in a phase of using one writing method, I can't write with the other ways. I don't know. It's like I'm blocked or something.
 
Q: Tell us about your upcoming release/releases?
A: On July 21, I will release a short piece with the title A Part of Me with Alfie Dog Fiction. Next, I don't have the set time for these, but there will be a longer (13,000 words) story with Books to Go Now with a temporary title 'Improvise.' Then a very short Christmas story with Leap of Faith in October. In January 2014, there will be a short novella with JMS Books. Well, as you can see (also from my published stories), most of my pieces are short stories. I don't know. :)
 
Excerpt
Stanley Haynes threw the newspaper, and it landed with a slap on Nicholas's plate. The headlines blared at Nicholas as though his father had shouted at him.
Heir to US Banking Chain Wedded?
"You ever plan to tell us about this, Nicholas?"
Nicholas glanced briefly at his mother sitting across from him, but she kept stirring the cooling coffee in her cup. Nicholas could see a smile flicker in her eyes. He shrugged.
“Come on, Dad. You know it was impossible for me to talk about it before everything was done.”
“Are you saying you don’t trust me, or your mom—” Stanley threw a glance at his wife, and his eyes widened. “You knew about this?”
She threw her hands up.
“God, no, honey. I wouldn’t lie to you.”
“All right, all right.” Stanley took a deep breath, trying to calm himself. “Is it that Phillips guy?”
“Of course. Who else?” Nicholas grinned.
His mother went back to stirring her coffee. Her voice was calm when she asked, “When was it, Nicholas? How come both of us didn’t know anything about it?”
“A moment after Greg was released from the hospital.”
“Wow. That fast?”
Nicholas chuckled. “Yeah. Now you can’t accuse me of being a playboy anymore.”
“That’s good, dear.” His mother took his hand, and Nicholas squeezed hers gently. “So those journalists—they just found out the other day?”
“They’ve just seen this ring, that’s all.” Nicholas lifted his left hand and eyed the simple platinum band around his ring finger.  Gregory had exactly the same kind of ring around his finger.
****
A month earlier
It was the lulling sounds of the waves and the gentle breeze above the vast, boundless ocean that Nicholas loved most. He could spend days, even weeks, drifting seemingly without any course and purpose on his boat, all by himself. After months dealing with his father’s clients about legal matters, he was always desperate for some time alone. Sometimes he just couldn’t understand why he had to work twice as hard as the other employees in his father’s bank when he was his only son. However, most of the time, he just couldn’t see it any other way. His father was not the type to want to spoil his family. Everyone had to earn what life had given to them. Nobody was allowed to simply ask and receive.
Today, though, he ended up not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment